SEARCH FORUM:

Forum > Travel

Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
_ReD_LiPsTiCk_
Style_council
_ReD_LiPsTiCk_

I was reading an article about proper attire for traveling. I think its was in teen vogue or seventeen, I cant really remember. It was saying that wearing sweat suits and legging is not what you should wear. You should wear clothes that you would wear on any ordinary day. I didnt agree with the article because I like to be comfortable on a plain. You figure if your flying you will be on that plain for a while or else you would just drive.

What is your opinion?
What do you wear on a plain?

posted about 8 years ago
MurasakiNeko
Style_council
MurasakiNeko

I think I’ve read something similar (maybe the same article) and I also disagree. I have strong opinions about what is practical to wear on a plane and they are more about what is comfortable and practical for going through security than looking like I’m on a runway— because, I’m sorry, I have never looked fabulous stepping off a plane as it is (the things the altitude does to my skin, it’s tragic!) and I would much rather be comfortable for the flight than make myself miserable fighting an uphill battle. If you really need to look stunning when you meet someone in the airport, you can change and retouch your makeup in the airport bathroom before you go out. But if you try to drag bags around the airport in heels, hold up the security line when you have to take off your armful of bangles to go through the metal detector, or sit for 10 hours in tight jeans it just looks like you didn’t put very much thought into what you were doing when you got dressed that morning.

But my opinion may also be influenced by the fact that I fly international a lot— and things that might be fine for 2-5 hours can become not only really uncomfortable but outright unhealthy on an overnight flight. For example, fitted jeans? People think they’re “so comfortable” but when you’re sitting still for that long, they can cut off your circulation— and I know someone who actually got a UTI from having that tight fabric sitting against her for a flight across the Pacific!

And I’m not saying you have to show up in your pajamas looking like you just rolled out of bed (though if you do, more power to you!). But I think you can still look chic in a comfortable outfit, like something involving leggings, yoga pants, or a long flowy skirt. Honestly, leggings, when paired with a breathable dress or skirt, are both more comfortable and more dressy than jeans! And you can choose soft accessories like scarves you don’t have to remove during security and won’t make noise on the plane. Put a little thought into comfort and practicality when you dress for flight, or you might make others around you or yourself really unhappy.

posted about 8 years ago

tightsandtea
Style_council
tightsandtea

haha I have a friend who brought a lot of clothes she was going to get rid of, so that she could have her suitcase filled with souvenirs/clothes she bought on her return back to the states.. I’m guessing they weren’t the most stunning pieces of clothing to wear, but she took nice clothes with her too. If you have space limitations like that, that’s probably smart.

I remember like 10 years ago when I was visiting a friend who moved across the country, my mom made me wear a coat, a sweater, leggings, and pants on the flight there—I looked ridiculous. I just didn’t have enough space in my suitcase to hold any more clothes.

posted about 8 years ago

akbay
Style_council
akbay

I’ve seen some Americans literally wear their pajamas on the airplane. While this cna be fine in-flights it can be seen as very disrespectful in some places to get off the airplane dressed this way. Passport control in some countries can turn back those that seem to be disrespectful. It can also be dangerous, traveling to your hotel dressed in pajamas might give the taxi driver the wrong idea of what you are looking for (already dressed for the bedroom?). If do decide to go so informal in flight as to wear PJs then please pack something in your carry-on to change into right before landing. A sweater and non-ripped jeans is fine and comfortable for most flights as an alternative to PJs.

posted almost 8 years ago

BowsandGlitterxo
Style_council
BowsandGlitt...

i fly constantly. i try to be quite minimalistic….not too much jewelery, no belts, and easy slip on and off shoes. because you really don’t want to be stuck an security forever because of some fashion choices. if anything i will sometimes pack these acessories on my carry on. i always pack a cardigan with me in case i get cold.

i usually wear leggings or jeans. its whats about whats comfy and easy. you can always layer when you get off the plane to add some “uumph” to your outfit lol

PeachyPanda
Style_council
PeachyPanda

Whatever you feel comfortable in. I’ll fly with denim, leggings or dresses, doesn’t really matter to me since all three are quite comfortable. I just always bring a wide scarf in case I get chilly

REPLY TO DISCUSSION
Please log in. Don't have an account? Sign up here.
Continue_with_facebook
or login below
Username
Password