SEARCH FORUM:

Forum > Travel

Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
jamester56
Style_council
jamester56

The coming summer I will be traveling to England (Northumberland, Lacock, and London) as well as Italy (Not yet sure which cities, but probably Rome and some sort of beach). Anyways, I’ve heard that Europe has slightly different standards as to acceptable clothing. Mostly the whole “No shorts in Italy, and cover you’re shoulders” thing. Anyways, I did some research, and the places I looked at all said that that really only counted in cathedrals, museums, and occasionally restaurants.

What I mean to ask is, if shorts are acceptable, would mid-thigh (think this or this) shorts/skirts be fine?

Note: I am only 5’2", so those shorts would probably fall a bit lower than that on me.

posted almost 8 years ago
MiuSan
Style_council
MiuSan

I think the cover your shoulders and all -thing applies for visiting religious sites :)
Shorts would be fine…I am kind of giggling about this though. Just remember your not going on a safari, but a chic european destination!
I see way too many americans that look like they should be on a jungle safari! The khakis, tees, and ofc, the midriff waistbags!

jamester56
Style_council
jamester56

Okay. Thanks!

JanelleEfe
Style_council
JanelleEfe

you’re definitely fine unless you’re at a religious site. european women wear shorts haha, just look modest. also, they wear a lot of solids. careful about any shirts with logos or bright colors if you don’t wanna stand out as an American

sheilamdenison
Style_council
sheilamdenison

I’ve heard that if you don’t want to stand out as American to not wear white shoes.

jamester56
Style_council
jamester56

Well THAT’s a new one! Either way, I only own one pair of white shoes- and they’re heels- not your usual traveling fare.

BowsandGlitterxo
Style_council
BowsandGlitt...

when i went i packed a midi skirt in my bag and a pullover or cardi. tvat came in handy for when i wanted to go from comfy to appropriate in a couple of minutes.

jamester56
Style_council
jamester56

Good idea!

jehanprouvaire
Style_council
jehanprouvaire

Sure, shorts are totally acceptable in countries like Italy, after all they are really open minded (Milan is the centre of European fashion) but it is cold in Europe this time of the year, you should probably go for knitwear;)

TheEchosAnswer
Style_council
TheEchosAnswer

People may scoff at the “no shorts” idea, but every travel book I’ve ever flipped through says the same thing about shorts for ALL European countries; that is, not to wear them or you’ll get stares & stand out as a tourist. The same is usually said for short skirts above the knee. The color things gets repeated a lot too – according to these guides, black & neutrals are all “locals” wear (how drab if that were true!).

This advice is probably just veeeery dated, or maybe it is geared towards older people, but it is still perpetuated in most travel books & blogs (and not just by Americans…I’ve seen people of various nationalities give this advice concerning most any country other than the US & Australia). Of course, dressing for the weather makes sense, but most people ask about wearing shorts in hot weather.

On the other end of things is the weird perpetuation that Americans wear white athletic shoes & fanny packs. I haven’t seen an American tourist dressed that way since the 1980s. Giving that advice to someone under the age of 60 as if they need it seems almost insulting….

posted over 7 years ago

jamester56
Style_council
jamester56

Nice to know!

posted over 7 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION
Please log in. Don't have an account? Sign up here.
Continue_with_facebook
or login below
Username
Password